Harvey K. Littleton

Harvey K. Littleton, artist and a founder of the Studio Glass Movement: Although he began his distinguished career as a potter, Mr. Littleton is most recognized for his use of glass as an artistic medium. A recipient of a Master of Fine Arts in 1951 from Cranbrook Academy in Bloomfield Hills, MI, Mr. Littleton first gained acclaim as a ceramist. In 1959, however, he began to investigate glass as an artistic medium and, in 1962, led a glassblowing workshop. In that seminar, Mr. Littleton introduced the idea that glass could be mixed and melted, blown and worked in the studio by the artist, a view at odds with the widely held belief that glass objects could only be made via mass production in a factory. Mr. Littleton, a University of Wisconsin faculty member since 1951, retired in 1976 to Spruce Pine, NC, where he set up his glass studio. His home is near the Penland School of Crafts, the studio in which he, his colleagues and students advanced the artistic and technological processes for the Studio Glass Movement. He has a baccalaureate degree from the University of Michigan, an MFA from Cranbrook, and has studied at the Brighton School of Art in England.